Skip to main content

Take Us Home : Leeds United (2020) - Season 2 Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime

[Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen the first season]

Leeds United - a footballing side that last played in the Premier League in the 2003-04 season. They were relegated to the Championship (second tier of English Football) that season. In 2006-07 they were again relegated to League One (third tier in English Football). After two years of narrowly missing qualification back to the second tier, Leeds finally secured automatic promotion in 2009-10 where they finished as Runners-Up. Since 2010-11 Leeds have stayed in the second tier, neither getting promoted nor relegated.

The first season of this documentary series covered the 2018-19 season of Leeds United under new Coach Marcelo Bielsa. It was a six-episode documentary with the last three episodes focussing on their promotion push. Leeds come agonizingly close to the automatic promotion spots but finish third. This meant they had to play the dreaded "play-offs". They lost 3-4 to Derby County on aggregate and failed to get promoted.

The second season takes off where the first season got over. This time they have made a two-episode series. The initial part of the first episode focuses on player transfers. The episode then shifts focus to the current season covering a few of their first 37 games in the Championship. They mostly show glimpses of the matches while mentioning the final scoreline. The first episode ends with the Coronavirus halting the season.

With 9 games left, there is a sense of ambiguity and disbelief surrounding the season's future. There is also a mention of financial troubles and what if Leeds are unable to make it this time even though they seemed well on course to do so. The season finally restarts after a 3-month hiatus and covers the remaining 9 games.

Even though this season had two episodes compared to the first season's six, it was still engaging and was able to follow the club's loyal fans even after the pandemic. It is better than All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur other football documentaries that were released recently and I highly recommend the new season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to Survive - Season 3 (2021)

Where to Watch: Netflix Drive to Survive, a fly-on-the-wall documentary series first debuted in 2019 and covered the 2018 Formula 1 Season. Since then the series has had a lot of following and is into its third season. Truth be told, "Drive to Survive" is the reason I started watching Sports documentaries. I hadn't seen any race in 2018 before the first season came out, and I only saw the final race of 2019 before the second season. I was eagerly awaiting for the 2020 Formula 1 Season to start before "you-know-what" delayed sporting action across the globe. The season finally kicked off in July with certain races either being canceled or postponed. The good parts about this series are its intensity, behind-the-scenes action, the interviews with the Drivers, and the "key-personnel" of the various teams.  Now even though I saw all the races of 2020, it became a bit difficult to follow because the episodes go back and forth in time rather than in a sequen...

Heat (1995) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video Movies, when you decide to watch one, what do you look at? The IMDB score? The Runtime? The Cast? The Genre? The Director? The book/material from which it draws inspiration? When I started watching movies, I used to check the IMDB score. But there were many instances where I felt disappointed, mainly because some had a higher rating than they should have while others had a lower rating. Mostly I think IMDB is biased because users can skew the ratings. Otherwise, how does one justify Mithun Chakraborty's Gunda receiving 7.3/10 (as of 15th Aug 2023)? I reckon Metacritic 's ratings on a scale of 100 makes sense for mainstream movies. I went through the list of my watched movies and gave a rating on a scale of 100 and checked their Metacritic Ratings and found them to be similar to what I had given. (for documentaries I generally don't refer to them as they usually have high ratings). One of my favorite Film critics is Chris Stuckmann. I came...

Missing (2023) Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix A few years ago, I saw a movie called Searching (2018), directed by Aneesh Chaganty, an Indian-origin Director. It was a mystery thriller unlike any other I had seen before. The story was riveting like many movies in this same genre, but its portrayal on screen was unique. It is a relatively new genre of visual storytelling called Screenlife. While the definition of a Screenlife movie may be a bit hazy (as per the link ), the movie certainly wasn't. It was one of the best thrillers I had ever seen, and to see the director make such a movie on his debut is worthy of praise. Five years later, we have a Standalone Sequel to "Searching"; called "Missing". But this time, Aneesh Chaganty only serves as the Writer.  While comparisons to the former are inevitable, this is a worthy Standalone Sequel (The characters or plot line here are not the same as that of the original). There were some pacing issues in between, sometimes the screens shifted t...