Skip to main content

Barry - Series Review

Where to Watch: Hotstar Premium

As far as comedies are concerned, I have seen a few silent movies of Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. Although many would classify their works under the "slapstick" tag, in my opinion, they are much better than "Modern-Day" slapstick comedies. I have also given a lot of sitcoms a run, only to leave them midway. 

If I was to recollect series that I have completed over the past decade, there are three of them that stand out! The first one is Dexter (2006-13) [although Dexter last aired in 2013, it has been renewed for another season scheduled to come out in 2021]. The second one is Breaking Bad (2008-13). The third, its spin-off series Better Call Saul (2015-present).  These series, although fall under the "Drama" tag, are also classified as "Black/Dark Comedies" ! So, I went about and searched for series having this brand of Comedy and I stumbled upon "Barry"!

Barry stars Bill Hader (who also serves as the director for a few episodes) as a former Marine who has turned into a Hitman. While scouting his target Ryan, he reaches Ryan's acting class, where his target convinces him to perform a scene with him. Although the scene goes far from perfect, Barry gets attracted to acting and reveals this to the acting coach Gene Cousineau. Barry tells Gene about how he wants to leave his life as a hitman and wants to do something different. Gene thinks that what Barry just said was "improv" and gives him another shot. The 16 episodes (spread evenly across two seasons) covers how Barry tries to become a full-time actor (a new season was due to be released in 2020, but has been delayed).

The initial few episodes are funny, although humor takes the back-seat when things get serious. There is one episode in season 2 that was a departure from the tone of humor which was set up in the whole series. I am aware of the audience that the show is trying to appeal to over here, but it did not strike a chord with me. There are a few interesting characters(NoHo Hank" watch out for him) and a lot of good scenes. Barry is intended for adults as is evident from its "TV-MA" certification. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for something refreshing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to Survive - Season 3 (2021)

Where to Watch: Netflix Drive to Survive, a fly-on-the-wall documentary series first debuted in 2019 and covered the 2018 Formula 1 Season. Since then the series has had a lot of following and is into its third season. Truth be told, "Drive to Survive" is the reason I started watching Sports documentaries. I hadn't seen any race in 2018 before the first season came out, and I only saw the final race of 2019 before the second season. I was eagerly awaiting for the 2020 Formula 1 Season to start before "you-know-what" delayed sporting action across the globe. The season finally kicked off in July with certain races either being canceled or postponed. The good parts about this series are its intensity, behind-the-scenes action, the interviews with the Drivers, and the "key-personnel" of the various teams.  Now even though I saw all the races of 2020, it became a bit difficult to follow because the episodes go back and forth in time rather than in a sequen...

Heat (1995) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video Movies, when you decide to watch one, what do you look at? The IMDB score? The Runtime? The Cast? The Genre? The Director? The book/material from which it draws inspiration? When I started watching movies, I used to check the IMDB score. But there were many instances where I felt disappointed, mainly because some had a higher rating than they should have while others had a lower rating. Mostly I think IMDB is biased because users can skew the ratings. Otherwise, how does one justify Mithun Chakraborty's Gunda receiving 7.3/10 (as of 15th Aug 2023)? I reckon Metacritic 's ratings on a scale of 100 makes sense for mainstream movies. I went through the list of my watched movies and gave a rating on a scale of 100 and checked their Metacritic Ratings and found them to be similar to what I had given. (for documentaries I generally don't refer to them as they usually have high ratings). One of my favorite Film critics is Chris Stuckmann. I came...

Missing (2023) Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix A few years ago, I saw a movie called Searching (2018), directed by Aneesh Chaganty, an Indian-origin Director. It was a mystery thriller unlike any other I had seen before. The story was riveting like many movies in this same genre, but its portrayal on screen was unique. It is a relatively new genre of visual storytelling called Screenlife. While the definition of a Screenlife movie may be a bit hazy (as per the link ), the movie certainly wasn't. It was one of the best thrillers I had ever seen, and to see the director make such a movie on his debut is worthy of praise. Five years later, we have a Standalone Sequel to "Searching"; called "Missing". But this time, Aneesh Chaganty only serves as the Writer.  While comparisons to the former are inevitable, this is a worthy Standalone Sequel (The characters or plot line here are not the same as that of the original). There were some pacing issues in between, sometimes the screens shifted t...