Skip to main content

The Record (2021) - Series Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime

This two-episode series follows the Australian Women's Cricket Team while playing at the 2020 ICC Women's T20 World Cup. The organizers have a plan of smashing the record attendance at a women's sporting event. 

The previous best being 90,185 at the 1999 Women's FIFA World Cup Final. (Check the second episode of "This is Football", another Amazon Prime Series). They choose the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) as the venue for the final. 

The 2020 ICC Women's T20 World Cup features ten teams split into two groups of 5 and, the top 2 teams from each group progress to the knockout stages. The focus is on the Australian Cricket Team and the games that they play. There are glimpses of how the results of the other teams went.

I couldn't help but compare it to the "The Test" (again another Amazon Prime Series, following the Australian Men's Cricket Team after the "2018 Australian Ball-Tampering Scandal" leading up to the "2019 Ashes"). "The Test" had eight episodes out of which only one episode featured the "ICC 2019 Men's World Cup", and hence felt a bit rushed.  "The Record" on the other hand has two episodes that nicely captured the drama and tension that one would associate with a stage like the World Cup.

"The Test" had a lot of "fly on the wall" moments when the team conducted its meetings, while "The Record" had only one such moment captured. 

The final match of the tournament was held on the 8th of March 2020 (International Women's Day). Who wins the World Cup and whether they broke the record attendance forms the whole story.

I highly recommend this series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to Survive - Season 3 (2021)

Where to Watch: Netflix Drive to Survive, a fly-on-the-wall documentary series first debuted in 2019 and covered the 2018 Formula 1 Season. Since then the series has had a lot of following and is into its third season. Truth be told, "Drive to Survive" is the reason I started watching Sports documentaries. I hadn't seen any race in 2018 before the first season came out, and I only saw the final race of 2019 before the second season. I was eagerly awaiting for the 2020 Formula 1 Season to start before "you-know-what" delayed sporting action across the globe. The season finally kicked off in July with certain races either being canceled or postponed. The good parts about this series are its intensity, behind-the-scenes action, the interviews with the Drivers, and the "key-personnel" of the various teams.  Now even though I saw all the races of 2020, it became a bit difficult to follow because the episodes go back and forth in time rather than in a sequen...

Heat (1995) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video Movies, when you decide to watch one, what do you look at? The IMDB score? The Runtime? The Cast? The Genre? The Director? The book/material from which it draws inspiration? When I started watching movies, I used to check the IMDB score. But there were many instances where I felt disappointed, mainly because some had a higher rating than they should have while others had a lower rating. Mostly I think IMDB is biased because users can skew the ratings. Otherwise, how does one justify Mithun Chakraborty's Gunda receiving 7.3/10 (as of 15th Aug 2023)? I reckon Metacritic 's ratings on a scale of 100 makes sense for mainstream movies. I went through the list of my watched movies and gave a rating on a scale of 100 and checked their Metacritic Ratings and found them to be similar to what I had given. (for documentaries I generally don't refer to them as they usually have high ratings). One of my favorite Film critics is Chris Stuckmann. I came...

Missing (2023) Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix A few years ago, I saw a movie called Searching (2018), directed by Aneesh Chaganty, an Indian-origin Director. It was a mystery thriller unlike any other I had seen before. The story was riveting like many movies in this same genre, but its portrayal on screen was unique. It is a relatively new genre of visual storytelling called Screenlife. While the definition of a Screenlife movie may be a bit hazy (as per the link ), the movie certainly wasn't. It was one of the best thrillers I had ever seen, and to see the director make such a movie on his debut is worthy of praise. Five years later, we have a Standalone Sequel to "Searching"; called "Missing". But this time, Aneesh Chaganty only serves as the Writer.  While comparisons to the former are inevitable, this is a worthy Standalone Sequel (The characters or plot line here are not the same as that of the original). There were some pacing issues in between, sometimes the screens shifted t...