Skip to main content

Barking Dogs Never Bite-Movie Review

There was a time when I used to watch a lot of movies, but there were specific genres that did not interest me enough. “Science Fiction” was one such genre. Don’t get me wrong; I loved the first two Terminator movies (directed by James Cameron), “Edge of Tomorrow”, “Children of Men” and the like. In that list, there is another movie called “Snowpiercer” directed by Bong-Joon-Ho; based on a graphic novel by the name of “Le Transperceneige ”.

The next movie I saw of Bong-Joon-Ho was the Academy Award-winning “Parasite”, a Dark Comedy thriller that I liked. So I made up my mind to watch all of his previous works and I chose to watch “Barking Dogs Never Bite” first.

Released in the Year 2000, also Bong-Joon-Ho’s directorial debut, it is a dark comedy/thriller movie that has a runtime of 1 Hour 50 Minutes and works well for the most part. It features an aspiring professor who is not working and is in a strained relationship with his wife. He is also irritated by a barking dog in his apartment building and takes an extreme step to stop that distraction. While watching this movie I could see a lot of parallels between this and “Parasite”. Although many would argue that the latter is more polished and coherent, I am not going to contest that.

People have criticized this movie as it feels amateurish at times. Well, for a movie that is made on a shoestring budget, a director on debut, and that it was mainly aimed at Korean audiences (it’s DVD only released 10 years later) it is pretty good. Mostly what this movie could have improved on is a bit of character development at the start and a more riveting final act.

On the whole, I would say if you are an animal-lover, a couple of scenes could make you cringe [at the start of the movie they do say “NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS FILM”]  but there is nothing very graphic, it is mostly suggestive while portraying it. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes foreign cinema, dark comedy/thriller genres. But if you do plan on watching this please SKIP the trailer on YouTube as it gives away most of the story.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to Survive - Season 3 (2021)

Where to Watch: Netflix Drive to Survive, a fly-on-the-wall documentary series first debuted in 2019 and covered the 2018 Formula 1 Season. Since then the series has had a lot of following and is into its third season. Truth be told, "Drive to Survive" is the reason I started watching Sports documentaries. I hadn't seen any race in 2018 before the first season came out, and I only saw the final race of 2019 before the second season. I was eagerly awaiting for the 2020 Formula 1 Season to start before "you-know-what" delayed sporting action across the globe. The season finally kicked off in July with certain races either being canceled or postponed. The good parts about this series are its intensity, behind-the-scenes action, the interviews with the Drivers, and the "key-personnel" of the various teams.  Now even though I saw all the races of 2020, it became a bit difficult to follow because the episodes go back and forth in time rather than in a sequen...

Heat (1995) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video Movies, when you decide to watch one, what do you look at? The IMDB score? The Runtime? The Cast? The Genre? The Director? The book/material from which it draws inspiration? When I started watching movies, I used to check the IMDB score. But there were many instances where I felt disappointed, mainly because some had a higher rating than they should have while others had a lower rating. Mostly I think IMDB is biased because users can skew the ratings. Otherwise, how does one justify Mithun Chakraborty's Gunda receiving 7.3/10 (as of 15th Aug 2023)? I reckon Metacritic 's ratings on a scale of 100 makes sense for mainstream movies. I went through the list of my watched movies and gave a rating on a scale of 100 and checked their Metacritic Ratings and found them to be similar to what I had given. (for documentaries I generally don't refer to them as they usually have high ratings). One of my favorite Film critics is Chris Stuckmann. I came...

Missing (2023) Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix A few years ago, I saw a movie called Searching (2018), directed by Aneesh Chaganty, an Indian-origin Director. It was a mystery thriller unlike any other I had seen before. The story was riveting like many movies in this same genre, but its portrayal on screen was unique. It is a relatively new genre of visual storytelling called Screenlife. While the definition of a Screenlife movie may be a bit hazy (as per the link ), the movie certainly wasn't. It was one of the best thrillers I had ever seen, and to see the director make such a movie on his debut is worthy of praise. Five years later, we have a Standalone Sequel to "Searching"; called "Missing". But this time, Aneesh Chaganty only serves as the Writer.  While comparisons to the former are inevitable, this is a worthy Standalone Sequel (The characters or plot line here are not the same as that of the original). There were some pacing issues in between, sometimes the screens shifted t...