Skip to main content

Contagion (2011) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix 

Alternatively, you can rent this movie in HD for ₹120 or buy it in HD for ₹590 either on "Google Play Movies & TV" or on "YouTube".

TED is a non-profit organization where people from around the globe deliver thought-provoking ideas. All you have to do is to go to YouTube and watch it for free. One video that became very popular early this year was a TED video of Bill Gates titled "The next outbreak? We’re not ready". In that video, there is a mention of a movie called ''Contagion'' featuring a stellar cast.

Contagion is directed by Steven Soderbergh. The movie starts by showing a female character who had gone to Hong Kong for a business trip return back to Minneapolis. Later she has a seizure and eventually dies while at the hospital of unknown causes. Now whatever happens later in this movie has an uncanny resemblance to how "COVID-19" is wreaking havoc. There is a mention in the movie that ''the virus is a combination of the genetic material of pig and bat-borne viruses'' and I will leave it at that. 

Even though this movie had an interesting premise, I felt the film lost steam after a good start and did not deliver the excitement that it could have. There was very little character development, you do not feel for whatever happens to the characters and everything just looks too good to be true. Well, maybe a 5-6 episode series could have been better and could have done justice to the story. 

Before watching this movie, I had seen 3 of Steven Soderbergh's works namely 'Ocean s Eleven', 'Magic Mike', and 'Logan Lucky'. This was my fourth movie directed by him and is also ranked fourth in that list. This movie could have been great but ends up being strictly average.

If you are curious to know what happens, you can give this movie a go, but I highly recommend that you go ahead and watch Bill Gates' TED video. In the meantime, I will go ahead and watch 'Outbreak' (1995).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive to Survive - Season 3 (2021)

Where to Watch: Netflix Drive to Survive, a fly-on-the-wall documentary series first debuted in 2019 and covered the 2018 Formula 1 Season. Since then the series has had a lot of following and is into its third season. Truth be told, "Drive to Survive" is the reason I started watching Sports documentaries. I hadn't seen any race in 2018 before the first season came out, and I only saw the final race of 2019 before the second season. I was eagerly awaiting for the 2020 Formula 1 Season to start before "you-know-what" delayed sporting action across the globe. The season finally kicked off in July with certain races either being canceled or postponed. The good parts about this series are its intensity, behind-the-scenes action, the interviews with the Drivers, and the "key-personnel" of the various teams.  Now even though I saw all the races of 2020, it became a bit difficult to follow because the episodes go back and forth in time rather than in a sequen...

Heat (1995) - Movie Review

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video Movies, when you decide to watch one, what do you look at? The IMDB score? The Runtime? The Cast? The Genre? The Director? The book/material from which it draws inspiration? When I started watching movies, I used to check the IMDB score. But there were many instances where I felt disappointed, mainly because some had a higher rating than they should have while others had a lower rating. Mostly I think IMDB is biased because users can skew the ratings. Otherwise, how does one justify Mithun Chakraborty's Gunda receiving 7.3/10 (as of 15th Aug 2023)? I reckon Metacritic 's ratings on a scale of 100 makes sense for mainstream movies. I went through the list of my watched movies and gave a rating on a scale of 100 and checked their Metacritic Ratings and found them to be similar to what I had given. (for documentaries I generally don't refer to them as they usually have high ratings). One of my favorite Film critics is Chris Stuckmann. I came...

Missing (2023) Movie Review

Where to Watch: Netflix A few years ago, I saw a movie called Searching (2018), directed by Aneesh Chaganty, an Indian-origin Director. It was a mystery thriller unlike any other I had seen before. The story was riveting like many movies in this same genre, but its portrayal on screen was unique. It is a relatively new genre of visual storytelling called Screenlife. While the definition of a Screenlife movie may be a bit hazy (as per the link ), the movie certainly wasn't. It was one of the best thrillers I had ever seen, and to see the director make such a movie on his debut is worthy of praise. Five years later, we have a Standalone Sequel to "Searching"; called "Missing". But this time, Aneesh Chaganty only serves as the Writer.  While comparisons to the former are inevitable, this is a worthy Standalone Sequel (The characters or plot line here are not the same as that of the original). There were some pacing issues in between, sometimes the screens shifted t...